Thursday, June 3, 2010

Generic Thank You

I always get excited to receive thank you cards from friends and family that got married not only for the picture(s) but also the sincere hand written note. I like to know that they took the time to personally thank us for being part of their day.

I"m not sure if this is a new trend but I just received a thank you card from my FI cousin who got married in October (yeah way to be proactive and send them 8 months later) and it was really unique. It was probably done through shutterfly or snapfish and a mural of pictures from the big day. I love the concept! Only downside was a generic computer generated message went along with it. No hand written personal thank you, just the same generic message everyone got. Isn't that kind of inpersonal? I mean we gave a very generous monetary gift and that's the thanks we get?!!

I understand that sending out thank you notes and writing each card is time consuming and boring but I really think it means a lot to those who receive them. What are your thoughts? Have you received any generic computer generated thank you cards?

4 comments:

  1. Holy crap! Mr. B & I totally got into a fight about this last week!! Friends of ours were married in August'09 & we got the thank you last week (so yeah, I hear you on the lateness factor too). I mean, they're not even signed!
    I thought the EXACT same thing you did. He thought I was being snooty, old fashioned and stuck up.

    Maybe I am. My mom & Nana have always been sticklers for thank yous and it rubbed off on me. I think there's a lot to be said for a hand written note.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Computer generated Christmas cards with the same picture and note to everyone is fine. NOT FOR A WEDDING--NO NO NO NO! A handwritten thank you note from a wedding is a must.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Dani - I completely agree on the xmas card but weddings where you take the time and MONEY to go there. I want to feel a little special here! LOL

    @Dancy - i'm right there with you on the old fashioned front.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love writing and receiving thank you notes...and it's definitely better when they're personal!

    ReplyDelete