Thursday, June 10, 2010

With this watch I thee wed

Ok not really but it got your attention, right?!


So let's talk about the groom's gift or shall I say the gift I'm going to give my husband to be. Now that sounds much better!


Since John works in construction he doesn't get to dress up nicely as often and as an electrician he really shouldn't wear metal (i.e. rings or watches) since they conduct electricity. So you'll probably ask yourself at the end of this post, "so why did she buy him that?" but hear me out first.


Before he got into the construction business he used to own a bunch of nice watches and loved wearing them. Although he lost them all especially one that his sister gave him for her wedding in 2005. He always mentioned this one watch which was made by Victorianox. I've had the idea of getting him a really nice watch for a while now, more like since he first mentioned it. I thought getting him another Victorianox watch would be a safe bet since he loves that brand and get it engraved too.


So I found the perfect watch but the price was astronomical! So I waited and kept looking at other websites to find a better price and I'm glad I did.



At the time gemnation.com had this watch for almost $200 off. Isn't it gorgeous?!! I was waiting for my bonus from work to buy it and it's a good thing I didn't because I had the pleasure of hearing him mention what kind of watch he liked during a recent trip to JCPenny's.
Here's how it went down: We were shopping with his step-father in JCPenny's for shirts and we were bored so we walked over to the jewelry/watch section and I didn't even say a word and he goes, "If I had to pick a watch I would pick this one" and points to a watch by Relic; which I never even heard of, and it had a blue background. The watch wasn't much money either and I just stood there freaking out on the inside and being calm on the outside.

I came into work the following day and looked at all the blue backgrounds that Victorianox makes and LUCKILY the watch I originally wanted is also made in blue. Phew! AND I could get it for $200 off and engraved. Life is grand!
I showed the picture to 2 of his buddies for their opinion (also showing the other watch) and they both picked the blue as well. So I bought the blue one and got it engraved. I'll share my engraving story at later time since it needs its own post.
Four days later I get this lovely box in the mail. I was so excited and I couldn't wait!


It came with a 2 year warrenty and a manual. I realize that this box is a bit big to hide and I have to think about who I can give this to without him noticing!

This picture isn't very clear but the blue background ISN'T as blue as the picture above and I was a little disappointed. It was more like a blue gray-ish which reminds me of the color of our dresses...which I guess isn't so bad. I really do love this watch and I'm still uber excited to give it to him.
Are you getting your fiance anything for the day of the wedding? Anything unique and cool?


2 comments:

  1. Awww, that's so cute - now I wanna know what the engraving says. It's a great watch!!

    We're paying for 99.9% of our wedding ourselves so we agreed - no presents.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thats a really nice watch! I love that you had it engraved. Cant wait to see what it says! :) I got him a Pittsburgh Steelers Grooms cake!! And he paid for me and my MOH to go to the Spa the day before the wedding! :)

    ReplyDelete