Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Diamonds are a girls best friend: The Proposal




So now that we established Pear cut as our center stone and pave setting it was now time to wait.....and wait.....haha just kidding! I knew he had to ask my parents for their blessing and since they live in Florida and were visiting this past summer it was obvious that a proposal was not in our near future. It actually wasn't a surprise to me as to when he would ask for their blessing since it was the last weekend they were in town (Labor Day weekend) and I knew he didn't ask yet.


See we have an extremely open relationship and share every detail and thought we have so he admitted he hadn't asked them yet. LOL I woke up late Labor Day morning and came downstairs to find my father wrapping his arms around me and saying "you're my last one" and it was clear that he finally did ask. NOW it was only a matter of time and because I knew that....it killed me! I wish now that I didn't know because every weekend or any hint of him acting differently and I was a on my toes waiting for the moment. Not exactly the way I would have imagined it.


We were headed to Mexico in a few weeks and many of my friends and co-workers mentioned that he's going to do it on vacation but I knew he wouldn't because he wouldn't leave that ring in a hotel room safe in a foreign country. Weeks passed and I was getting really antsy and again I wish it was a complete surprise because I was getting impatient. It wasn't until we went up to CT to have brunch with my sister and brother in law that the day finally happened.


We were on our way up and I was on the phone with my sister to let her know we were on our way and would see them soon. My FI mentioned to me that he wanted to drive by our old stomping ground and see the houses we grew up in. I was not keen on the idea since we already drove by our old neighborhood a few weeks back and we were going to be late for brunch. I am one of those people who keep a time schedule and cannot be late! So I got a bit annoyed and then BAM! It hit me...I sat in my seat and realized this could be it! and to this day he has no clue that I knew beforehand what he was doing...so that's hush hush! =)




We drove by our old houses and up the street and it was all too familiar yet houses have changed and the street didnt' seem so long like we when we were children. He stopped the car and said he wanted to check out the old tree fort and asked me to get out. I had flip flops on and it rained the night before so rain plus dirt = mud and that sucked! BUT I kept my mouth shut and got out and he looked up at the tree and realized there were only two pieces of wood left from what used to be our tree fort. He realized his plan was not going to go according to his plan and I laughed when he said that.



Now my FI is amazing with his words and I was looking forward to his speech and how much I would cry from it. I mean I pictured this day for a while now and to my surprise he looked a deer in headlights now that his plan was shifted and it was kind of funny. He kept stroking my arm and saying how much he loved me and I knew he was having a hard time getting his words out which was very cute.



Back in my first post I mentioned how I played spin the bottle with 3 other boys and it was then that he started his speech saying something along the lines of, "20 years ago you took a chance on me out of 3 boys...." Wow! haha! After a few more sweet words he got down on one knee and proposed and I think I said yes before he got the last word out. And there it was the most amazing ring.....so shiny and blinding! It was one of the best moments of my life and I love how symbolic the proposal was and where it took place.


Did you have a unique proposal? Did you have an idea it was going to happen soon?

1 comment:

  1. I love proposal stories! How sweet! Thx for sharing. Your ring is gorgeous! I always thought I would know when he was ready but he took me completely by surprise Christmas morning 08!

    ReplyDelete