Friday, January 29, 2010

It's just as good as the real thing.....


So I explained how we decided on what kind of engagement ring we wanted (i.e. shape, size, setting etc) but I wanted to discuss with you how we decided to buy a lab created diamond instead of a genuine one. I know what your thinking! "You didn't want a real diamond???" BUT before you judge listen to my story first.

Prior to dating my FI, I dated a guy for over 5 years and he watched a show on lab created diamonds. We were intrigued with how they were made and that to the naked eye you could not tell the difference, not even a jeweler (unless he used his magnifying glass)! So I always kept that in the back of my head as a great alternative. So once my FI and I discussed getting married I brought up that idea and he thought it was an interesting concept. My FI is going through his Electrician apprenticeship and the pay isn't exactly great until he becomes a journeyman; which is in about 2 years. This is a long process and takes him almost 7 years to complete and I didn't want him to struggle to try and save up thousands of dollars for this ring when we could be economical and go with this alternative, which I think is actually a better one!

So I googled 'lab created diamonds' and came up with a few companies like Carats.cc which I loved but you couldn't customize and could only buy what the offered online. So my search continued and I stumbled upon a company called Diamond Nexus Labs. I studied their website up and down and became even more educated on how these beautiful creations are formed. For instance, did you know that the Miss Universe, Miss USA, and Miss Teen USA's crowns are designed from this company??? In today's economy this trend is catching on and even celebrities are buying 'green diamonds' since they are the best alternative to a natural diamond.

So I ordered their catalog which is 750 pages HUGE with over 10,000 kinds of rings to select from. Talk about overload!! So I took one afternoon to start searching through the book and marking the ones that I liked. The plan was that I would mark the ones I liked and when my FI was ready to purchase a ring he could pick from the ones marked. It actually wasn't as hard as I was expecting since I knew what I wanted (pave setting, pear shaped center stone). The company also sent us a $100 off any purchase over $200 before September 30th! How cool is that?!

At first I was embarrassed to admit that my diamond was not natural but to be honest it's just as good, if not better, than most diamonds out there and it didn't take blood, sweat, and tears to find in a under-privileged country. All diamonds have a perfect cut, clarity, and color and come appraised and ceritified by the American International Gemstones (AIG).

Were you open to other diamond alternatives? Maybe a colored gemstone instead? How did your family and friends react?

1 comment:

  1. I take it the picture of your ring is the one you went with? :) I kinda wish I had known about this little alternative about a year ago. I just read your comment on WB and I love that website. My mom just ordered a catalog for fun! I think I will too because I'm looking for a wedding band to wear when I'm not wearing my e-ring---it's a custom thing that involves aquarmines and sapphires and I couldn't find anywhere at all. If you want to know the story check out my blog!
    http://www.peaandcarrot.wordpress.com

    So when do we get to see some photos of your ring in action?! :)

    ReplyDelete