Friday, April 16, 2010

The new cupcake

Source

Is your mouth watering yet? This picture makes me crave Macarons.


For many years we've all been on a cupcake craze. We've associated cupcakes as cute, happiness-inducing desserts for too long and it's time to latch on to a new confection: the French macaron (not to be confused with macaroons, the dense cookies made of shredded coconut and condensed milk). These pretty, colorful, bite-size treats were first introduced to me this past Christmas and I realized that I've been missing out for many years!


I found an article today that included the recipe from Adour, a french restaurant located at the St. Regis New York. I instantly thought I attempt to recreate them this weekend but I reviewed the recipe and it scares me! I give so much credit to Miss Turtle on Weddingbee for not giving up and perfecting this. I haven't given up on the idea but this recipe would go smoother if I had my Kitchen Aid mixer right now.

I thought I would share the recipe with you:



Raspberry macarons by Adour Alain Ducasse at The St. Regis New York
Ingredients:


18 ounces almond flour (500 G)
(always try to buy the finest almond flour 99 or 100 percent)

1.3 pounds of confectioners sugar (600 G)

7 ounces of egg whites (180 G)

7.5 ounces of egg whites (200 G)

1.2 pounds of granulated sugar (500 G)

5 ounces of water (125 G)



Making the batter:

Mix together the almond flour with sugar and 7 ounces of egg whites in a mixer such as a KitchenAid until there are no lumps.

At the same time, beat the remaining egg whites in another bowl on medium speed until a stiff peak forms.

Over a low flame cook the sugar and water at 118 C.
(Make sure you use a baking thermometer — avoid a digital one as they are too sensitive).

Pour the hot sugar syrup in a thin stream into the beaten egg whites. Make sure to pour the syrup in at the edge of the bowl.

Once the cooked egg whites stop producing vapor, fold them into the almond mixture.



Technique is important:

To do this grab the bowl with one had and hold a pastry scraper in the other. Using the scraper blend the mixture from the center of the bowl smearing it up on the side of the bowl all while turning the bowl with the other hand so you mix all the way around. Do this until the mixture is blended to a consistency similar to an almond paste or marzipan.

Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Using your scraper put three scoops of batter into a pastry bag. With the tip of your bag pointing straight down, (in Adour, they use size 11 or 12 tips ) pipe the batter into small portions of equal size onto the sheet. The technique Chef Micheli uses is he pushes an inch size amount of batter down, stops for a second and then makes a swirl.

Let the macarons dry for 12 minutes. Bake them for 10 minutes at 320 F. Let them cool down, half an hour or 45 minute before creating your sandwich.



Raspberry Filling Ingredients:

20 ounces raspberry puree (Capfruits)

3.5 gluclose sugar

4 ounces of granulated sugar

.5 ounces pectin

Bring the puree and the glucose syrup to a boil. Add the mixture of pectin and sugar. Boil for two minutes. Chill until needed.

recipe can be found at www.metro.us

Assemble:

Once your macarons and the filling are cool. Pair up your macarons with others of the same size. Press your thumb slightly in the center of each to create an indent. Add the filling. Make sandwich.

I really would LOVE to make a bunch of these and put them in decorative plastic bags for our guests at the home reception. Wouldn't that be cute? That would also be quite stressful before though.

Think you could tackle the recipe?

2 comments:

  1. They look delicious but I don;t know if I'm up for the challenge! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure if I could make them, but I might just have to try!!! It's funny you posted about these because I've been thinking about making them also because they just look so delicious. I've heard they can be very costly at the bakeries because they are so time consuming to make. Thank you for the recipe and I'll let you know if I do make them---and who knows, maybe you'll get a package of them in the mail?! :)

    ReplyDelete