Monday, April 5, 2010

Tread lightly..but why??


Source

Yikes! Don't mess this with lady!


When I first reconnected with my FI in 2006 I was thrown to the wolves to be honest. I met both his mother and father all in one weekend. We went to a BBQ party one night at his father's and it was blast! The next day we went to a family reunion with his mother's side. It wasn't as fun as the night before and I wondered what I was getting myself into.

I realize now that his mother was not fond of his past girlfriends so it took some time to warm up to me and for her to see that I was the best thing for her son. And that's totally understandable. I'm extremely happy with the relationship I have with my FMIL and I don't have to worry about how I act around her. Although cooking around the woman is another story.


His family comes from Italy and so his mother was brought up cooking from scratch. The food is amazing and it works out perfectly since I love food. She's included me in the cooking process and shown me how she makes her famous lasagna over the past year which truly shows how much she cares for me. Recently I've been given cooking responsibilities when it comes to family parties. And I'm happy to be included but the last two times I've had to cook in the woman's kitchen.


Extremely intimidating!!! First off, she has a beautiful brand new kitchen that they renovated two years ago. Secondly, she is a clean freak. My FI gets his OCD cleaning from her. The last two times I cooked in her kitchen I felt like I had to tread lightly in her kitchen and be as clean and neat as possible. For those that don't know me I am a klutz. I spill things on myself all the time and make a mess. I'm entertainment to my FI when I'm in the kitchen.


The first time she taught me how to make potato salad. So we boiled the potatoes and let them cool off. Then she showed me how to peal the potatoes with a knife. I was so afraid to hurt the potato or get a hole in it that I took forever. Eventually she grabbed the potato and told me not to be afraid to get aggressive. So I did and voila! The skin came off so much faster.

Source

This past weekend we spent Easter at his mothers house as well and I had the responsibility of making deviled eggs. His grandmother gave me a deviled egg holder one year for Christmas and for some reason they designated me "Deviled Egg Lady." So I boiled the eggs on Saturday and brought them up to his mothers to finish the next morning since we were really busy running around Saturday.

I woke up yesterday feeling anxious. I knew I had to finish making deviled eggs and I had to make them in her kitchen. As I peeled the eggs, scooped out the yolk, and added the ingredients I could feel her looking over every so often. Or so I think! I was super paranoid of making a mess or screwing up. I have no clue why!!! She's such an awesome woman but I'm just intimidated to cook in her kitchen and make a mess! She doesn't make me feel bad or give me dirty looks either. So this whole thing is all in my head.

Have you ever felt this way about your FMIL?? I know I'm being silly but anyone else encounter the same situation?

No comments:

Post a Comment