Thursday, May 6, 2010

Let's change things up a bit....

So I thought I would change things up and talk about why we chose to have a destination wedding (DW). I've gotten this question a lot lately when I mention where we are getting married.


"So what made you want to have a destination wedding?"

Or

"So were a lot of people mad when they found out you were getting married in the Caribbean?"


Honestly I've never imagined myself getting married anywhere else except the catholic church I grew up going to but it wasn't until I met my FI that something just clicked. It was so weird but literally like a switch turned on at the first thought of getting married to him. I mean I literally planned out my wedding before (in my head) and pictured the big Cinderella traditional sha-bang!


My FI and I went on vacation back in May 2008 in the Dominican Republic at a resort in Punta Cana called Majestic Colonial.

My FI and I waiting for our room to be ready. I swear my cheesy smile is not alcohol induced...I'm just that cheesy.

We absolutely had a blast and fell in love with the resort. The resorts grounds were lush and tropical and always well maintained. The staff was extremely friendly and always said, "Hola!"

One of the many bars available to your enjoyment.

We witnessed several weddings taking place while we were there and it hit us....let's have a destination wedding! It's totally our style, laid back, relaxed and honestly we just want to go away with our friends and family and celebrate our love for a couple days while boozing and eating our hearts out! Who wouldn't want that?! I know it's not for everyone but I couldn't picture getting married anywhere else.

We vacationed at many other all-inclusive resorts over the last two years but none of them exceeded our expectations like this resort and we knew this was were we wanted to get married. PLUS we know what to expect since we've already been there!

This is one of the many reasons why I love my FI..he is such a goof ball and makes me laugh all the time!

We love our beverages =)

One of the best features is the never ending pool that starts up by reception and ends by the beach! This is the view from our room. There was quieter parts (which we didn't go near) and then there was the rowdy loud music section which we always try to stay towards.

This is the grand staircase in the main lobby. THIS is what sold me on having my wedding here. Can you imagine the amazing pictures I will get???


And so to answer the question earlier about if people got mad because we were having a DW...NOPE! Luckily my family supports our decision and although they've never been to one they are extremely excited for the new experience! I'm really thankful they were on board from the start because that's whose opinion would have mattered most. and if anybody is mad or upset I don't really care because at the end of the day this is OUR wedding.


So there you have it! Anybody else decide to go against tradition and have a wedding that represents their style whether it's outdoors, at a museum or even on a mountain top? Was everyone accepting?

*all picture were taken from personal camera*

3 comments:

  1. we went to the majestic colonial too and LOVED it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so excited! We're staying at the Majestic Elegance this time though so I hope it's just as good! Did you guys vacation there or get married?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats!!! This is so cool!! I'm kind-of having a destination wedding too!!
    Btw this hotel looks amazing!!! I say go for it!!

    ReplyDelete