Friday, May 7, 2010

DIY: Bedazzler gone wrong!

Remember how I wanted to bedazzle my flip flops for the wedding instead of paying $60 for the real deal? Well I visited Michaels today and was totally stoked to use my 40% coupon too!! I couldn't wait to get home to start another project.

I have my crystals, tweezers, hot fix crystal tool, and flip flops!

I bought 5mm swarovski crystal flat backs, 4 packages of 22 pieces.





source
I even went on YouTube to see how to use the hot fix tool properly. Sounds so easy but it isn't! You heat up the hot fix tool for 5 minutes, then place your crystal on the surface of the object you want and hold down for 30 seconds. Then VOILA!

Unfortunately my DIY project didn't work the way I wanted and started melting the flip flops!
As you can see I tried 3 times and still no luck.


No bueno! I was frustrated and bummed.



So here is the breakdown of my unsucessful DIY project:


Old Navy flip flops: $2.50

5mm flat back crystals: $3.49 each 30% off (22 pieces) x 4

Jolees Hot Fix Crystal Tool: $11.99 ( with 40% coupon)

Tweezers: $3.49

Total: $34.10


So I will be returning the crystals and the tweezers since I won't be using them now. And it's now on to Plan B. I discovered these bad boys in J.Crew the other day for $36.


source

So in the long run I spent almost the amount I didn't want to spend. Oh well. You win some and you learn some.

Anyone have luck using the hot fix tool on flip flops? Ever have a DIY project gone wrong? If so, I'd love to hear!

3 comments:

  1. I think Mrs. Nachos on Weddingbee did this and she had to put fabric around the flip flop first so the jewels were attached to that instead of the plastic - Here's the link! http://www.weddingbee.com/2010/01/19/ok-be-a-little-afraid-to-bedazzle-yourself/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know I thought about that after and think I might make another trip to Michaels to try one more time before I give up! LOL
    Thanks Laura!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So I suck at DIY and am of no help whatsoever, BUT you know "The Ren" from WB? She's like a super genius with this stuff, why don't you PM her on WB & ask her for some info?

    Here's the link to her post: http://boards.weddingbee.com/topic/update-beautiful-diy-shoe

    ReplyDelete