Monday, March 15, 2010

Box-O-Color

Living in NYC can be expensive. REALLY expensive! What would normally cost you $5 will cost you $10 in the city. The same goes for salon services. It. Sucks. Since we're all trying to saving every penny for this one special day in our lives, we have to compromise and/or completely forgo spending money on ourselves.
Like many women out there, I dye my hair. I have been since I was in high school. I've been blonde, red, dark brown, reddish brown, purple and green. OK I lied about the last two but you get my point. I like to color my hair. For years I've gone back and forth between salon colored hair and boxed color hair. It all depends on my budget. And of course I find the salon color always trumping the boxed color but honestly my wallet can't keep up with the requirements the salon gives me for touching up.
I'll be honest and admit I got my hair colored by a salon in September just before we were engaged (see picture below) and I haven't had it done since. YIKES! Although, my hair looked pretty dark good in our e-pics if I do say so myself! I toyed with the idea of splurging to get it done again but I just couldn't justify spending $220 on my hair when I could put that money towards the wedding. Yes. $220. That's ridiculous, right?!
*my own picture*
So I went to my local supermarket and randomly picked the box that looks like the nicest. Dead serious. L'Oreal Healthy Look in 5G Medium Brown. Little did I know that it wasn't permanent and washes out in 28 washes, which can be a good thing and a bad thing. Good-if I hated the outcome. Bad - if I liked the outcome and now have to die it in a few weeks again.
Well it was a tad darker than I was expecting but overall I'm happy with my choice and it looks similar to the color I had in September. Score! So only $8 later and I'm a happy bride-to-be!

*my own picture*

Have you made any sacrifices with beauty in order to pay for the wedding? Did they turn out the way you expected?

3 comments:

  1. Awesome! I too gave up my highlights for the 1st time in about a decade in order to save $. $240 (plus tips!!) every six weeks just wasn't in the budget anymore. I def. plan on going back before the wedding. Mr. B recently got a job too - so maybe I'll go back before then. Hmmmm... ;)

    P.S. - your hair looks great!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh & by the way Mr. B's mom swears getting your hair done in the outer boroughs is WAY cheaper - I might wait till after the wedding & head to the Bronx with her. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know I should get my hair down where I live in Yonkers. I just love the job they do in the city so much though. I need to suck it up!

    ReplyDelete