Monday, March 15, 2010

Do YOU like to Do-It-Yourself: Part 2

Let's set the mood shall we?! So thanks to Marth Stewart I ordered vellum paper last week and received it in the mail in just 2 days. Speedy delivery and I highly recommend using Paper and More if you are looking for tons of paper options as well as envelopes.

Anywho, I printed the templates today at work in light blue, dark blue, and gold (since my invitations are not incorporating this color). I was extremely giddy to get home and put it together and see how it looks.


I got all my supplies ready and started to think about which sizes I thought would work. I then realized that I most likely will need to buy bigger paper instead of 8 1/2 x 11 because the circumference was pretty small and not many of my candles at home would fit in it. Boo! I also need a bone folder which I neglected to buy this past weekend but I decided to fold one myself and see at least how it looks.


I used 3/8 inch Glue Dots adhesives to hold them together; about 4 per sheet since 3 wasn't enough. I cut two of them to show the versatility you can get with these sheets. I acutlally like the smaller vellum candles over the big ones. The big ones seem a bit odd and out of place.


As you can tell the one folded CLEARLY shows the crease and the paper is delicate enough to create marks too when folding. But I like the square look though.
I realized after the 3rd picture that my camera has a special feature for taking pictures of candles HENCE why this picture really shows them in their true glory. =) I really like the concept but I want to play around with the design a bit since I thought the colors didn't pop much. Also going to get larger paper so that I can fit candles inside comfortably.

What do you think? How was your first DIY project? Did it go as smoothly as possible or were there many tweaks?


*all pictures were taken on my camera*

5 comments:

  1. Those turned out great, well done! Honestly, I don't think I've ever had a DIY project (wedding related or otherwise) go exactly how I originally thought it would. But I suppose that's half the fun of DIY-ing and I think some of my best projects have been the result of a deviation from the original plan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Miss FP! Of course they need a few tweaking and a couple rose petals and added flair to them to make it complete but i'm happy with the results thus far.

    ps - love your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love them--are you using real candles or battery operated ones?

    ReplyDelete
  4. hmm I thought I left a comment on these!! Saying how beautiful they are and how the colors really jazz up the candles. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ peaandcarrot - I will use battery operated because i'm afraid i'll burn them if they get too close!

    I checked out Michael's this past weekend they have them but the still kind of expensive.

    I'm looking into other designs as well, any ideas?

    ReplyDelete