Friday, March 26, 2010

Out with the old...and in with the new!





See this picture here? Yeah, not going to happen at my wedding. Not only do I not have enough 'single' ladies to do it but I honestly never liked the tradition. Who came up with this idea anyways?




Well I researched and found out the history behind the bouquet toss:




"Believe it or not, the bridal bouquet toss celebration goes back to fourteenth century France where it was believed that a bride was especially lucky on her wedding day. Guests would rush towards the bride at the end of the ceremony in hopes of tearing off a piece of her dress to take home for their own good fortune. This often ended in a scuffle dangerous for the bride (and guests). For a brief time, in an effort to fend off the wild attacks, the bride would throw her stockings (or garter) until brides began to rebel against this undignified practice. Brides instead switched to throwing the bouquet and that tradition has remained in place.

Today it is still considered lucky to catch the bridal toss bouquet and the event is usually performed to a unique bouquet toss song. It is said that the lucky recipient will be the next to marry. If you are leery of performing the bouquet toss at your own ceremony, consider some great modern alternatives to that traditional bouquet toss. Make a presentation of the bridal toss bouquet to a dear friend instead of tossing it. Or, a great twist is to look inwards at the fortune you've found by presenting the tossing bouquet and tossing garter to a cherished, wedded couple whom inspired you both to become newlyweds."

-Article from here



Can you believe they would rip the brides dress?? Hellll no. That's just crazy! My FI and I are completely on the same page and will not be carrying on the tradition of the bouquet toss nor the garter belt. I am not comfortable having him pry off my garter belt in front of our guests because I know he would do something stupid and embarrass me! HA HA!



What tradition are you excluding from your wedding? If any.

2 comments:

  1. That's really crazy that they would try to rip off pieces of brides dresses! We're going to do this but we're not doing the part afterwards where the girl and guy who caught it get together to put the garter belt on her! NO THANK YOU!

    A tradition we are leaving out is where everyone stands in a line to say congrats to you...I think it takes too long and we're at the same place for our ceremony and reception so it doesnt make sense to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I totally agree on the procession line. My sister cut that out and I thought it was great! LOL

    ReplyDelete