Monday, March 22, 2010

Dressing Up: The Family Edition


Since my Mother was in town this past weekend for the baby shower we took the opportunity to go dress shopping for her and also try on some bridesmaid dresses. I was extremely excited since my mother has been bugging me since Christmas with ideas on what she should wear for the big day.

We headed out around Watertown, CT where they had about 4 stores in a row with formal wear. The first store had prom wear. The second has prom wear. I know I've been out of the loop with prom trends for 10 years but when did dresses get so risky and flashy!???

Prom 2010


So after visiting 4 stores all with the same results we decided to head to a reliable source where my sister got her wedding dress and bridesmaid dress, Occasions Bridal in Bethel, CT. We walked in and were instantly greeted by the sales lady working. It was a quiet afternoon which was perfect because we had one-on-one attention with her. And honestly the lady knew exactly what my mother was looking for when she described the dress.


My mother came out of the dress room in a beautiful strapless chiffon flowing dress. I got my camera ready and then I heard, "Sorry Miss, no cameras allowed." Whhhhhhaaat?? How am I suppose to document all this for my blog?! ::sigh::

My mother loved the dress and so did I and we were sold on it. It came in over 20 colors and we decided to go with a turquoise color since it would compliment her Floridian skin and also fit in with the Caribbean feel. I'm super excited for her dress to come in so I can take a picture.


So unfortunately I don't have any pictures of my mothers dress since it's a private label and not available online. I also don't have any pictures of the BM dresses I tried on after. Boo!!

Bill Levkoff


So I told the lady what I'm looking for by After Six. We scoured the racks and I couldn't find the dress I wanted. Go figure! So I tried on this green Bill Levkoff dress that was very similar to the one I liked. It fit perfectly but I wasn't a fan of the top v-neck portion.



Honestly this picture does this dress NO justice whatsoever. I tried this dress on and it fit like a glove. Soft and light chiffon material with a tie in the back. Although I hated the color I just loved the way it fit my curvy figure. Although it doesn't give you many colors to choose from and the price tag was too high for my liking. Bummer!

After Six



So I decided to just stick with the original plan and get the After Six dress we all agreed upon earlier. Although the material is taffeta which can come off wrinkly, I still like the style and can compromise with that fact.


Did you have to try on BM dresses for your wedding since your wedding party wasn't available? Did you find it to be fun and useful?

No comments:

Post a Comment