Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Planes, Trains, and Automobiles

Wellllll minus the automobiles part and well the trains too! It's official! We have booked our entire honeymoon to Europe today! *And the crowd goes wild!*
Tell 'em what they won Bob!! OK so we didn't win it but that's how I feel right now. I'm super excited to announce that we are embarking on a week long adventure to Amsterdam and then Munich for the 200th Anniversary of Oktoberfest! 3 nights/4 days in each city!
(I can totally see myself some where in that crowd right now!)
Like I mentioned previously we chose our wedding date based around Oktoberfest in Munich. Kind of ass backwards but that's kind of our style sometimes. I started researching packages for Oktoberfest in early November and was lucky that my search ended pretty quickly. I googled "Oktoberfest 2010 packages" and found this website from Spyglass Tours. Most packages were for 3 nights/4 days and also the option to visit Prague and Amsterdam as well by rail. Now that would be AMAZING! Although it's 10 days long and we have a wedding the day we would arrive back if we chose that option so we nixed that idea.
After figuring out our timeline between our actual wedding in the Dominican and the At Home Reception, we decided to book the last weekend of Oktoberfest and head to Amsterdam first. I want to make sure we have enough time to clean up after the reception since it's our responsibility and I didn't want to fly to Europe the day after the party and not have enough time to pack. I'm such a freak when it comes to organizing travel; I have all our tickets and reservations printed prior in a neat envelope. I mean even e-mails exchanged with vendors in case of any problems. You can expect me to bring down a binder full of e-mail confirmations from the wedding coordinator at the resort, that's fo sure! So since I'm anal like that I need a day in between to get everything ready for our trip.
Our package includes 3 nights accommodations in a 'contemporary' hotel (i.e. in American terms that means 3 stars), 2 beer tent reservations which includes a meal and beer, a nifty cool t-shirt, and 24/7 guide assistance. Not bad huh?!
As far as the hotel in Amsterdam, I stalked trip advisor and after weeks of reading so many reviews I chose a hotel. Then again I can't remember what the name is now. Note to self: check archived e-mails for the confirmation!
Are you wondering why I'm not using a travel agent? That's because I used to be one so I book all my travel (well except for the wedding since it's too many people involved and I just couldn't take the time to book everyone!).
Did you book your own travel or do you put your faith in a trusty travel agent? Did you choose to honeymoon in Europe and if so, how was it?? Any tips?

No comments:

Post a Comment