Tuesday, March 9, 2010

My Two Cents

Source


I'm stubborn if you haven't already noticed and part of getting married also means combining finances with your FI. As of right now we currently have a joint checking account that we opened up a year ago that was strictly to pay for our vacations and is currently where we put our blood, sweat and tears money for the wedding. We also have separate checking accounts still but eventually we are going to have to combine our finances, or are we?


I recently spoke about the 5 Things important to marriage and one of the things mentioned was "Find a solution and compromise. Just don't ignore it." and I find myself having to compromise when it comes to finances and the FI.


I'll be honest and admit that I have a lot of bills to pay each month whereas my FI barely has any. So he likes to pay for a lot of stuff like groceries and gas since he knows I'm not left with much after bills. I'm a woman and I like to shop and that's my downfall. With the wedding though I've cut down on any shopping for myself and focused on saving for the wedding.


Yesterday I received a $65 ticket for an expired inspection sticker. Boo!! My FI texted me this morning and said that he would take care of the ticket. That's incredibly sweet but I have pride issues and you mix that in with stubbornness and it's a great combo. It's my car so I should pay for it, right? Then I took a step back and thought about if I fought him on this subject and what the end result would be. Probably him getting annoyed that I'm being stubborn all because I have pride issues. Is it really worth it? So I compromise and let him know that I'm not exactly fond of the idea but arguing with him isn't worth it. And he wrote back "nope it's not, LOL!" I laughed and felt better that at least he knew how I felt and was appreciative of his kindness.


I'm trying to accept that in the future I have to put my pride aside and accept that our finances are going to combine one way or another.


Will you be combining your finances or keep two separate accounts while married?

No comments:

Post a Comment